Monday, October 12, 2009

Awesome

In the latest installment of Lainey's Terms, we're going to talk about the word Awesome. This might seem obvious but really it's not. Urban Dictionary pretty much sums up this Awesome dilemma when they define the word as "Something Americans use to describe everything." Well, I don't. I only use awesome to describe things that are awe inspiring, mouth-open-where-is-my-camera-spectacular.

Let me explain.

I have created this comparison to give you an example of what I mean. Yeah, the tattoo on the right has a dolphin with its own tattoo sitting on a recliner but the dolphin is smoking a bong, which just doesn't make sense and is also stupid (Say no to drugs, kids). The tattoo on the left, however, is all things awesome. Alone tattoos of My Little Pony and Wolverine can be cheesy but together they make magic happen.



Likewise, this dude is awesome because he's brave enough to walk outside looking like this. And he owns this look!  I mean, he's out and proud. The glasses! The hair!



Then there's this picture. It speaks for itself. Han is playing with so much conviction that you can't call it anything less than AWESOME in all caps.



So now you know. Whenever you see me calling something awesome, you know that I'm not just tossing that word around because I have a limited vocabulary. On the contrary, I've got a great vocabulary--I'm an english teacher for crying out loud! Bottom line, if I say awesome, then it's awesome. No doubt.

1 comments:

Scott October 13, 2009 at 2:53 PM  

I had lost all hope with life until I saw this Star Wars picture. Recession? Global warming? Michael Cera? F-all of that. By channeling the pure "I just dominated this mo-fo" vibe of Darth Vader swinging from wires like Bon Jovi in Livin' on a Prayer, I've completely taken a whole new look at life.

All Pictures © Elaine Palladino 2009

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP