Friday, October 23, 2009

Allow me a moment

Grubby, germy students: 2
Elaine and her immune system: 0

This is the second time this year that I've had to stay home because of some bug or another. Crap. I hate it. I hate feeling like crap. I hate looking like crap. I hate having to run out of my first period so that I can get acquainted with one of the toilets in the girl's bathroom. I'm feeling better and so am making my way to school this wonderful Friday morning. Crap.

Here are a couple of things that I realized during my week with the germs:

1. Apollo 13 is a great movie. I mean, seriously, a great movie. From Ed Harris' beautiful white vest to the part where they make the geeky science guys figure out how to fit the square filter into the round one. I just have to say that I will follow Tom Hanks anywhere, especially in that movie. He was just amazing. I love his voice, too. That's why in The Simpsons Movie, they had him talk about the "new" Grand Canyon that was going to take the place of Springfield. I mean, I'd buy anything he's selling. Any day.

2. Eff, Marley and Me. I hate that movie. There is absolutely no reason for a movie like that to be made. Why did I just fall in love with  that dog only to see him (spoiler alert) die in the end? Here I was, sick on the couch, having just woke up and I see that it's on. Oh, this is good. I never got to see it, I tell myself. Fast foward an hour later when I'm bawling on said couch. Screw. That. It hits a little too close to home when you've got a dog nearing her 12th year, who is having some health issues. I huged Akira for a while. She was confused.

3. When I'm sick and disoriented, I walk into things. Big things. I walked into a door and have a nice bruise to capture the moment. I also walked into the world's biggest desk and almost tumbled over it. That was a nice, embarrassing keepsake.

4. I was a little bummed for no particular reason on Tuesday when I was heading to work. Maybe it's the stress of the 1,000 different things I'm trying to do all at once. All I know is that I was just not having it. That was until Scandal's "The Warrior" came on my ipod. Remember when I was talking about what defines awesome? Well, this video falls under that category and then some:



Forget my bee costume (to be revealed soon), I should have gotten an idea from this video. People are dressed as God-knows-what and it's seven kinds of awesome. I'll tell you, I definately was "shootin' at the walls of heartache," Tuesday. It was a great day and all because I heard that song.

Anyone feeling sick lately? Thoughts. Comments. Now! (or whenever you damn well please)

4 comments:

Anonymous October 23, 2009 at 8:44 AM  

Well, yes...
Sick of Obama and Obamacare..
Sick of the way this country is being run like ENRON ( remember that?...)
Sick that this country is about to loose its triple-A status because we're getting into to much debt ( makes sense! )
Sick that 52 % of americans dont want any of the proposed health care bills, as they stand wright now, but yet congress is pushing it down our throat (Democracy anyone?)
Sick of how Hugo Chavez its telling Venezuelans to limit showers to three min. ( sound familiar... anyone? )
Sick of... well, I think I've said enough for today.
Have a good day, say hello to your husband, also to tata and your mom,

HJA

Yanelle Garcia October 23, 2009 at 9:22 AM  

I am glad you are feeling better, I was flu'ing for 2 weeks so you got off easy. You should do like they do in the hospitals and put a big-ass tank of Purell by your classroom door and make your germy kids sanitize before stepping in.
With that said, hello HJA :-)
1. Apollo 13 IS a great movie. Mike should be Ed Harris for Halloween...Yes!!!!
2. Marley and Me caused me to cry uncontrollably...while in the theater...I was sobbing...when Jorge and I got home we hugged Linda. She peed.
3. I am not even going to comment on 3.
4. I miss the 80's.
Love you.

Elaine October 23, 2009 at 3:46 PM  

Needless to say when a kid came into my class Wednesday to tell me if you could split your classes, the LAST thing I thought was that you were sick, I thought they had you impromptu-proctor some FCAT retake!

When you told me you walked into a wall and called Ralph on the big white phone (my fave puke pun) I felt awful for you. My immune system took a big hit last year, so I'm dealing sort of okay this year minus that week in September. But it totally sucks to be sick and when you called at 5 AM to say you weren't going Thursday? I called it- H4N6... you were out!

However, I am glad to see you got to scope out fine ass Ed Harris, and listen to Tom "can do no wrong" Hanks!
As for Marley and me, yes, SCREW. THAT. I thought it was a funny movie, my lovely father was like, "Hey, Elaine watch this movie it's good." Cut to an hour later, I'm vomitting from the migraine it gave me to think of my Gidget going to puppy Heaven. The nerve of the cinema!

Glad to have seen you back at least at 90% today. Enjoy your fisheye lens this weekend, and dont forget Olga.

xoxo,
Elaine.

Anonymous October 23, 2009 at 4:59 PM  

I could not pull the video @ work... you 80s retro junkie!!!!.

HJA

All Pictures © Elaine Palladino 2009

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP