Thursday, September 10, 2009

Today Was a Good Day

At the risk of sounding like Ice Cube--today was a good day. Here are some of the reasons why:

· My hair smelled like coconut.
· I wore a tropical shirt.
· I played some Bob Marley while my students worked on a project.
· I re-read this email: "You are a gem, Elaine. I have never worked with a young teacher as switched on, talented and considerate as you are. Thank you so much for all your help." (That just plain made my week).
· I got a cute note in my lunch box.
· I got to put other people in charge of things.
· My students are actually trying.
· I got to come home to this:
Most of all, it was a good day because I made it one. I was tired and still had to go to work but I recognize that it's a rare thing to actually like your job and even rarer to be good at it. I was encouraged by the promise that I saw in my students today and even in myself. I can dictate how my days are going to go. I can make things happen. This is obvious, I know. Sometimes, however, you lose the forest for the trees.

Here's to making everyday a good one even if it takes a little effort to get there.

Today's picture of the day was taken way back in 2004 with my first digital camera, a Kodak Picture Share (I'd had it for a couple years by then). That bad-boy made me fall in love with photography again and I'm all the better for it. This was taken from the ship of our very first vacation together. Mike and I were a year into a long distance relationship that ended up amounting to almost two years. We went on a cruise around the Carribean to reconnect and it was a grand ol' time.


2 comments:

Yanelle Garcia September 10, 2009 at 8:48 PM  

Shakira, Shakira!

Yanelle Garcia September 10, 2009 at 8:54 PM  

Just waking up in the morning gotta thank god
I don't know but today seems kinda odd
No barking from the dogs, no smog
And momma cooked a breakfast with no hog
I got my grub on, but didn't pig out
Finally got a call from a girl wanna dig out
Hooked it up on later as I hit the do
Thinking will I live, another twenty-fo
I gotta go cause I got me a drop top
And if I hit the switch, I can make the a** drop
Had to stop at a red light
Looking in my mirror not a jacker in sight
And everything is alright
I got a beep from Kim and she can f**k all night
Called up the homies and I;m askin' y'all
Which court, are y'all playin' basketball?
Get me on the court and I'm trouble
Last week f**ked around and got a triple double
Freaking brothers every way like M.J.
I can't believe, today was a good day

Drove to the pad and hit the showers
Didn't even get no static from the cowards
Cause just yesterday them fools tried to blast me
Saw the police and they rolled right past me
No flexin', didn't even look in a niggaz direction
As I ran the intersection
Went to Short Dogs house, they was watchin' Yo! MTV Raps
Whats the haps on the craps
Shake em up, shake em up, shake em up, shake em
Roll em in a circle of niggaz and watch me break em
With the seven, seven-eleven, seven-eleven
Seven even back do joe
I picked up the cash flow
Then we played bones, and I'm yellin' domino
And now I am yelling dominoes
Plus nobody I know got killed in south central l.a.
Today was a good day

Left my niggaz house paid
Picked up a girl been tryin' to f**k since the twelve grade
Its ironic, I had the brew she had the chronic
The Lakers beat the Supersonics
I felt on the big fat fanny
Pulled out the jammy, and killed the punanny
And my d**k runs deep so deep so deep
Put her a** to sleep
Woke her up around one
She didn't hesitate, to call Ice Cube the top gun
Drove her to the pad and I'm coasting
Took another sip of the potion hit the three-wheel motion
I was glad everything had worked out
Dropped her a** off, then I chirped out
Today was like one of those fly dreams
Didn't even see a berry flashing those high beams
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the morning got the fat burger
Even saw the lights of the good year blimp
And it read ice cubes a pimp
Drunk as hell but no throwing up
Half way home and my pager still blowing up
Today I didn't even have to use my a.k.
I got to say it was a good day.

All Pictures © Elaine Palladino 2009

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP