Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Holga, you guys.

Not Olga, HOLGA! It's a camera and I bought it. This wonderful blog inspired me to buy one of this plasticy marvels. If you are wondering, as my cousin's friend wondered, "What the hell is that?" I'll tell you. It's a camera that kicks it old school.

The Holga's brilliance comes from it's all plastic lens that according to the website, "makes colors radiate and makes total image sharpness take a brief holiday. You can also expect a bit of vignetting (darkening) around the edges – especially on a sunny day." In other words, it makes pictures look fabulous.

I'm just excited to have a new toy that I can play with and hopefully add to my burgeoning arsenal. It would be nice to take all these great digital pictures that I know came out nice and try a couple with the Holga just to see what I get.

I also love the mystery of film. It brings me back to when I would take pictures when I was younger and I never knew what I was going to get. It's always a bit of a surprise.

There's a role in there now that I'm not done with. I know for sure that a few of the pictures are going to come out dark but that's ok, I'm just testing this puppy out.

Here's what I hope to get from my Holga that I just named Olga:


(Picture: fusshop.co.uk)
I'm going to carry Olga with me everyday and keep a role of film on me. I think this is going to teach me to focus on composition and take note of the pictures I decide to take. Something else that's cool is that after I take a picture, I can choose to advance it one full frame or not at all. I can shoot limitless times on one frame for cool multiple exposure effects.
So, I'll keep you posted on how this goes. I think that when I develop the roll, I can ask them to put the negatives on CD. I don't remember...it's been a while since I developed film. This is going to be a blast.

0 comments:

All Pictures © Elaine Palladino 2009

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP