Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Where I'm From...

So I'm in the middle of a four-day training seminar for a new curriculum we'll be implementing this year. Sounds exciting, I know. My friend Gianni thinks four days is a little overkill (I couldn't agree more), but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't getting anything out of it. One of the poems that I'll be reading with my 10th grade classes is Where I'm From by George Ella Lyon. The students are then to create a poem using the same line-by-line format only with their own memories and experiences. We had to do this activity in the seminar. Here's my take:

I am from sunshine.
from a place I’ve never been but still calls my name.
I am from the palm trees that shade my backyard
(tall, regal, surviving).
I am from the sound of two languages that blend
seamlessly into one.

I’m from mi cielo, mi carino
from that r that rolls off your tongue.

I’m from the united
and the hand that won’t let go,
from the crowded hospital rooms
and the person who stays

(someone always stays).
I’m from laughter—always laughter—that
echoes into the empty driveway long after
the guests have gone.

I’m from the voice at the end of the phone line
whose words always ring true.
From the strength of walking away,
the letting go.

In a concrete island
I dreamt of salt water in my hair
and the sing-song voices carried to me by the breeze.
I am from these moments—from distance
but not from seperation.


~

And with that, my picture-of-the-day:
Suffice it to say, that s’more was a little crispy.

2 comments:

Elaine August 12, 2009 at 9:40 PM  

Wow, Elaine. I really enjoyed the poem. I tend to have an aversion to things written in stanzas and verses, but it was very breezy and laid back. It reminded me a little of Jamaica Kincaid's, "Girl," but different.

I am commenting on this entry but I just read the entire site. (Taking a break from the SpringBoard online training tutorials) I wish you the best of luck on all your endeavors. I too would pee myself if I saw your work in a Barnes and Nobles... photo or text.

I thoroughly enjoy seeing how close you are to Mike; to find him such a great subject is refreshing when people are so accustomed to trash talking their partners. In true romantic fashion I think it's lovely of you to be "obsessed" with the man- it means you constantly want to peel away layers and get to know him in a deeper sense, and I believe as long as that yearning is there, the relationship can only blossom and strengthen. You two are honestly a beautiful couple.

Now enough with the mush. About the YA Novel. I too, adore when I read a book and am sad to close it after reading the last sentence, but I've come to terms with the fact that all good things must come to an end (or at least that's what I tell myself to move on), and luckily with books there's always something more fascinating to find. (Also, I want to register to the Palladino library and check the book out.) I read, The Time Traveler's Wife over the summer, and whilst I was enraptured by the characters at times the plot left something to be desired. However, it's a good read I'll loan it to you from the Tato library, which you're welcome to peruse.

To sum up (or I'd go on all night), when I read the Actor's Studio questions I lost it! I totally saw you in the chair with the bearded fella (Who doesn't love The Lipton)! I will eventually fill you in on what my answers are.

You inspire me to write as well. Your writing is so honest and good, witty, and elegant at times.
Who knows maybe we'll work on a collaborative series of young adult novels become mega-super-writers and host high tea (or not) with The Rowling and pick her brain about everything.

Im sorry I went on so long, but you know me to be as effusive orally as I am on paper.

Best of luck,
Elaine Tato

Yanelle Garcia August 12, 2009 at 9:59 PM  

Oy... call me and I'll explain why. love.

All Pictures © Elaine Palladino 2009

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP