Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Case of the Sads…

(Winter is kind of a bummer, depending on how you look at it.)

I recently came to the conclusion that I like a lot of sad songs. I have no idea why. It’s like that Dave song “Funny the Way It Is” when he says, “someone’s broken heart becomes your favorite song.” I live my life to the tune of other’s misfortunes. Saying that sounds awful but what am I going to do? I like sad songs. Sue me. Here, in no particular order, is a sampling of my favorite. This could become rather lengthy so I’ll just keep it to a small taste. It’s list day, ladies and gents!

This song is actually more sick than sad. It’s about John Wayne Gacy, a serial killer from Chicago. The entire album, Come On Feel the Illinoise!, references people and places related to the state of Illinois. The fact that I like this song can be a case for psychoanalysis, but I think it’s the juxtaposition of the lyrics with the music that keep me entranced.

This is one of my favorite songs of all time. No one does sad like The Cure. This is a song that I play loud in my car and sing from the top of my lungs.

This isn’t so much a sad song but one that makes me nostalgic. I don’t know, maybe it’s the piano and the sweeping violins. This girl’s voice is something else.

This is a new artist that I actually discovered thanks to Kate from lost (what the flip is her real name?!) She included Azure in her celebrity playlist and then I found this song. Her voice is pretty and again with the violins—the best sad-song instrument aside from the Cello. It's very haunting.

Blue October and Imogen Heap ~ “Congratulations”
You can just take your pick with this band because they’ve got a lot of bummer songs. This one is heartbreaking. Dude comes to his former girl’s wedding. “I came to see the light in my best friend/you seem as happy as you’ve ever been.” What? Anyway, the video link is to a Jim/Pam (from The Office) fan video from back before they finally (finally!) got back together. Those two used to kill me but now they are getting married!

Dave Matthews ~ “Stay or Leave”
I can’ really talk about this song because…well, I just can’t. But I couldn’t do a mix like this without including it. Listen to the lyrics, hear the music and shed a tear. I’m including the version of Dave and his bestie Tim Reynolds.

I don’t know if it’s this guy’s voice or what. Maybe it’s the solo piano or the line “I need a phone call…” Either way, it’s a great sad-song. Good for when you're having a poopy day and want to wallow in it.

Citizen Cope ~ “Sideways”
My best-good-friend Scott introduced me to this band. I love this song. It’s very simple, almost pleading.

I made this song into my ringtone for when Mike calls me. We like to sing this one. I don’t know if it’s so much sad as it is mellow but I’ll include in this playlist.

3 comments:

Scott August 27, 2009 at 3:05 PM  

I'm going to go with 95% of every Christmas song ever produced.

Anonymous August 28, 2009 at 5:04 PM  

Check out a little thing called "pictures of you" by the cure and get back to me. Ur Cuz!!!

Yanelle Garcia September 1, 2009 at 12:55 PM  

Hey CUz!! I thought Scott and I were the only 2 people who read this blog....

All Pictures © Elaine Palladino 2009

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP