Saturday, August 15, 2009

So Damn Lucky

Last night the husband and I went to see the Dave Matthews Band with a couple of friends. It was all kinds of awesome. The trip getting there was an adventure if I've ever been in one. Traveling from South Beach to West Palm Beach in the middle of rush hour is no joke. By the time we got to the parking lot, my head felt like it was going to explode. I just wanted to get the eff out of the car.

I couldn't bring my camera (oh, the pictures I could have taken!) but I did manage to take some pictures with my nifty phone. This is the view from the top of the lawn where we started the night. We had a debate about how many people were at the show. I looked it up and the place holds 18,900 people (there you go, Scooter!), but it wasn't sold out like tonight's show is. All I know is that there were a bunch of people there and a good 80% of them were high. Geez Louise, were they ever. Say no to drugs, my friends, they only make you look like an idiot.

We were PUMPED when they got on stage and started with "Funny The Way It Is," but it was a bit anti-climactic when we couldn't hear a darn thing. We could hear but not in the loud I-Can-Barely-Speak-My-Ears-Will-Be-Ringing-For-Days kind of way. It seemed that the speakers and the big screens that pointed to the lawn were broken. Of course, I called the venue because I'm THAT girl. All I got was a lively, "We're working on it," but they didn't work on it 'cause the darn things stayed broken.

Seven songs in, I couldn't take the peripheral converstations anymore so Mike and I moved up. Then, the concert really started for me. They played a kick ass version of "Burning Down the House" (one of the reasons why I will most def. buy the live trax of this concert). We stood behind people who were legit fans and the rest was an absolute pleasure.

This was one of the best concerts I've ever been to, though we stumbled off the blocks a bit. The band sounded amazing and they had a great mix of new and classic stuff. They played "#41," "Typical Situation," AND the song that I wrote about in a previous post "You & Me." They played a 20 minute version of "Dancing Nancies" that was insane. The new stuff was all the best songs off their new album.

For their encore, they played two of my favorites "Sister," a song that always makes me think of my sister, Yani, and gets me all emotional, and "Grey Street," that I heard the first time I went to see them (with Yani) and got me thinking of that great experience.

What I loved most is that I got to see them with Mike. We both love this band and their songs hold great memories for us. I discovered DMB around the same time that I discovered Mike so it was nice to finally see them with him. And it's the first concert we've been too where we both have been equally excited. Usually I drag him to see people I want to see.

What I will say, though, is that next time DMB is in town I'm just going to bite the bullet and pay for great seats. It's got to be out of this world to see this band up close. Next up, Metallica and The Killers in October and all in the same week.

OH! I forgot to mention just how cool Tim Reynolds is. The dude wore a Harry Potter Seeker shirt just like the one I own. I may be a dork because I'm a 27 year old who owns this shirt but I'm in good company because he's a guitar god. Check us out:


What about you, folks? What's your best/worst concert experience? Do you think that I'll get a refund if I make a big enough stink with Live Nation about the poor sound? Leave your thoughts in the comments!

~

My picture-of-the-day is the sky before the music...


4 comments:

Yanelle Garcia August 15, 2009 at 6:27 PM  

Remember our first DMB concert and the thunder?? We were DANCING the WHOLE night..Then we couldn't find the car (Thanks E!) and it was raining like crazy and we thought we were going to get struck by lightning... THEN you decided to shove our purses up your shirt and some guy stopped us thinking you were preggo. That was awesome!
When we went to see Jonny Lang...it rained again, but we were so close we didn't get wet AND we could see his back pimple!!
The BEST will be THE KILLERS!!!!!!! Oh Brandon!!!!!

Unknown August 17, 2009 at 3:04 PM  

Oh Brandon is Right!!!! lol...Unfortunately I'm a broke ass mo-fo and I won't be able to see them. Tear, Tear. Have fun guys. ;) Thanks Yani for that hilarious bit about Elaine shoving her purse up her shirt. I can picture the whole thing; almost fell off my chair laughing.

Unknown August 17, 2009 at 3:06 PM  

P.S. Love the Skeeter Shirt.

Elaine September 4, 2009 at 11:17 PM  

Can I just say again, you and Mike- AWESOME! You two are so very lucky. Im reading your blogs a bit out of order, so I think I can safely say, I hate a little that I don't have what you have. Although I am happy you two have it! I hope I find it someday! But "you can't hurry love," right?

Waiting...
E.

All Pictures © Elaine Palladino 2009

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP